Friday, May 29, 2009

Recent communications on the way from Jerusalem to Jericho....


In view of the previous post I thought I would relay to those who follow the blogosphere two communications received here in the wilds of North Bucks.


The first was a 'phone call from "Steve" of the Labour Party. I am fairly certain that he didn't say "New Labour". He wanted to know if I recent events had altered the way I would be voting in the forthcoming elections. I think he was rather taken aback when I said that recent events had only confirmed my view of the present administration. He asked what I meant - poor soul - he should not have lit that touch-paper!


I am afraid that years of frustration burst forth. He heard that I believed that New Labour had betrayed the working classes; that folk in the UPA area in my parishes had told me that they were treated as "white trash" by those in power; and that they were driving people into the arms of the BNP which was an appalling situation. I went on to say that they had continued to perpetuate the myth that an economy could be built on financial services and retailing and had signally failed to create few real jobs where people were making things. I also pointed out that we had the highly stupid situation of having had people taking out mortgages at 8 times their salary and at the same time the present administration had not reversed the stupid policy of not building more council housing.


Having started, I then let rip about how appalling it was that Catholic adoption agencies were having to close because they did not fit in the the new sexual agenda, at how immoral it was that they were planning to rob children of their childhood by teaching them a whole range of sexual matters at primary school; and of how they were committing one of the worst forms of child abuse in placing children for adoption and fostering with same sex couples. I furthermore said that worst of all was the fact that people when raising their concerns about these issues were treated as criminals and that this Government seemed determined to break the culture of this land and refashion it in their own warped image.


Apparently, he made a note of my comments, so perhaps I can now expect a visit from the "Thought Police."



The second communication was received today. I have no doubt that many other Parish Priest's have received it as well. It comprises a glossy A3 poster with Gordon Brown's photo imposed on a background of some impressionistic, but in no sense overtly Christian stained glass - so it will no doubt not offend any other faith community member. The poster urges church members to vote Labour on June 4th. Mr Brown has taken the time to provide a quote in which he thanks


"Britain's churches for all the work you do in helping the young and the old, the homeless, those in debt or poverty and most of all those who otherwise would shoulder heavy burdens in isolation and despair. In tough times we need to pull together and when people are suffering this Government will not pass by on the other side."


I am sure that many of you out there would wish to thank him for the police knocking on the door of the Bishop of Chester after his interview on a local Radio Station. I am sure that we would all want to thank him for the closure of so many Christian pieces of real community work which have been legislated out of existence, of the work of Sure Start in drawing all things to do with children to itself so much that work with families in poverty by Christian Charities is severely curtailed.
I am sure that there is so much that we could thank this Government for as it has truly not just passed by the "man who fell among robbers", but tried to persuade us that his wounds do not really exist, that the robber was non-existent and that the real criminal is the Samaritan himself for helping someone else without having the relevant qualification and for not having undertaken a risk assessment. Who, we might wonder, is the real robber?


Steve, when he rang wanted to know whether I would be voting for Labour on June 4th. That is between me and the ballot box.


As for the poster and the leaflets that came with it - it is not my job as a Parish Priest, to tell anyone how to vote and I am certainly not going to have my churches used for such blatant propaganda.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...