Thursday, November 19, 2009

The stuff of legends....

Many thanks to Fr Ed Tomlinson on his recent blog post regarding the Ad clerum some of us in this See have received this week: see http://sbarnabas.com/blog/. I must point out that I am not the little bird.

What surprised me about Fr Ed's post was that he wasn't made aware of the Bishop's confusion. Now as anyone knows I frequently have my Winnie-the-Pooh moments, but I don't think my guilty enjoyment of the BBC's series, Merlin, is confusing me theologically as much as it is the Bishop who ends his Ad clerum, "and thanks for all you do for the Once and Future King."

Isn't that wonderful? In the Diocese of Oxford we priests are all now Knights of the Round Table - but then surely King Arthur got it completely wrong for there were no Knightesses around his table! Perhaps Arthur has returned already to correct T H White's reworking of Sir Thomas Malory's and Geoffrey of Monmouth's earlier works which so cruelly gave some knightesses male names in a typical patriarchal fashion. Could someone please tell me if this is a new clerical society to rival those Red Badge wearers and if so where is their Round Table? Please also can I be advised of Morgana's whereabouts as she is best avoided. Perhaps trying to pull the sword out of the stone will be the new way to decide who gets to be Archbishop and perhaps jousting will be used to decide who gets a Canonry.

The only trouble is the age old practice of chivalry towards women will have to be ditched as being patronising...........

I could go on, but I am sure many of you could add far more thoughts on this!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...