Monday, November 3, 2008

Bishop David Hope on what is needed for Traditionalists

In a Homily at St Mary's, Horden the former Archbishop of York , The Rt Rev'd David Hope, spoke for all traditionalists in the Church of England when he said:
"let me just say that I don’t want any ‘protection’ clauses from the Synod or anyone else, thank you very much – frankly I find that demeaning and patronising in the extreme – to enable me to continue as a loyal and faithful member of the church of my birth and in which I have been privileged to minister.
What I want is a ready and generous acceptance and celebration of all that which I and so many others hold dear and which we have been taught and learned in this church which claims to be part of the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church down the ages and throughout the world – and in the current situation, that can only be secured by provisions which are clear and unequivocal in their intention both to provide the distancing which I believe to be necessary, as well as being able still to hold us all together in those bonds of communion and love and unity which are the gift of the Spirit – that communion, love and unity which continues to be an imperative for all Christians."
Lets us hope that these wise words will be both listened to and acted upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...