Monday, November 24, 2008

Reformation or Deformation...?

My son, who is reading history, tells me that his lecturer for the Tudor period states that a number of scholars are now questioning whether the "Reformation" should have that term used to describe it. The argument runs that "reform" implies that something good has happened and that it is questionable whether good came out of it or not.

I raised the term "Henrician Schism" with my son, but he pointed out that that only deals with the English experience and not with Scotland and Northern Europe, etc. Of course, it also only deals with what happened under Henry VIII.

My son also tells me that scholars are also questioning whether what many of us know as the "Counter Reformation" should be called such. The argument runs that it wasn't simply about countering the Protestants, but had many proactive rather than reactive elements.

So, what do we call the events of the 16th century?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...